Responsible Executive: Finance and Administration
Approving Official: Vice President for Finance and Administration
Effective Date: July 1, 2016
Last Revision Date: Unrevised at this time.
- The Vehicle Management Plan is to map processes concerning management of University vehicles. It is not the intent to create a centralized fleet program. Each area Vice President is responsible for compliance with the Vehicle Management Plan within their area of responsibility. All related documentation and processes surrounding the program can be found at https://www.facilities.fsu.edu/depts/financialServ/FVMP.php.
- Maintenance and Safety Inspections of FSU owned vehicles
- University owned vehicles must be maintained in a timely manner and records of vehicle maintenance and repairs must be tracked and kept in FSU Facilities Integrated Workplace Management System, AIM.
- Transfers/Surplus of FSU Vehicles
- University vehicles may be transferred from one department to another within the University System. Transfer vehicles must be in sound mechanical condition and have maintenance records no greater than six months old. Any transfer or surplus of a University vehicle must comply with established property management and inventory control procedures. Policies relating to the location or Department Code change of property can be found at https://policies.vpfa.fsu.edu/policies-and-procedures/financial/property.
- Driver's License Verification of Employees Driving FSU Owned Vehicles
- Each department will have a documented process in place that ensures all employees that drive FSU owned vehicles have a valid driver's license In compliance with the University policy on License requirements for operating University-owned vehicles - https://policies.vpfa.fsu.edu/policies-and-procedures/faculty-staff/use-state-vehicle.
- FSU VEHICLE MANAGEMENT AND CARE
- Maintenance Management
- FSU Departments are strongly encouraged to use maintenance services provided by preferred Contract Supplier for Vehicle Maintenance, https://procurement.fsu.edu/how-buy/shopping-guide#Vehicles however are authorized to use any certified mechanic as long as the mechanic certifies (by signing the document) that all six and twelve month inspection points, listed on the ticket were checked and inspected. Repair history and mileage are critical in deciding whether to repair or replace a vehicle. University vehicles will be monitored for preventative maintenance and repairs.
- Preventive Maintenance
- All University vehicles must be maintained using a preventive maintenance schedule for that type vehicle. All university vehicles must have a current Inspection record in AiM (within the past six months). Under no circumstances will a University vehicle be placed or kept in active service unless it is in good operating condition. Facilities is responsible for overseeing a preventive maintenance program that provides written notice to the Departmental Property Custodian, when preventive maintenance is due. The expectation is that all required checkpoints pass inspection and in the case where a checkpoint fails, it is the responsibility of the Property Custodian to ensure it is addressed.
- Transferring or Surplusing a Vehicle
- The following guidelines provide minimum replacement goals for the routine replacement of University vehicles. University policies are intended to ensure that each vehicle is maintained and operated in a safe and economical condition. When transferring a vehicle, maintenance records must be up to date and a current record on file no greater than six months old. If a vehicle is sent to FSU Surplus and they determine that a vehicle is no longer safe to drive or is cost prohibitive to repair, the vehicle will not be allowed to reenter an active status and will be disposed of accordingly to Surplus processes. https://controller.vpfa.fsu.edu/services/surplus-property
- Vehicle Use and Driver Authorization
- Authority to drive a University Vehicle is restricted to faculty, staff, and employees conducting official business for the University. Use is limited to accomplishing academic, research and/or administrative responsibilities of the department involved.
- FSU State Vehicle Usage Policy - (https://policies.vpfa.fsu.edu/policies-and-procedures/faculty-staff/use-state-vehicle)
- FSU State Vehicle Authorized Driver Policy - (https://policies.vpfa.fsu.edu/policies-and-procedures/faculty-staff/employee-and-labor-relations)
- To become an authorized driver, you must possess a valid Florida or equivalent Driver License. All Driver Licenses must be annually verified by the Vehicle Responsible Party.
- Departmental Property Custodians
- Property Custodians, as defined in University Property policy, https://policies.vpfa.fsu.edu/policies-and-procedures/financial/property are responsible for ensuring the contact details in AiM for that asset are up to date at all time.
- LEGAL SUPPORT, JUSTIFICATION, AND REVIEW OF THIS POLICY
- FSU Facilities shall be responsible for the review of this policy.