Responsible Executive: Finance and Administration
Approving Official: Vice President for Finance and Administration
Effective Date: January 1, 2014
Last Revision Date: Unrevised at this time.
- Section 1001.74, F. S.
- To establish guidelines for change order and construction change directive approval for construction projects.
- This document describes the issues which must be addressed in approving change orders and construction change directives.
- All change orders and construction change directives (CCDs) must be approved by the President, or designee.
- TIME EXTENSIONS
- All change orders must address required time extensions. If no increase in time is necessitated by the change, the change order must contain a statement to that effect. FSU Online Policies and Procedures OP-B-11-E, Establishment of Construction Contract Time and Liquidated Damages, discusses the identification of time extensions on change orders.
- FUNDING OF CHANGE ORDERS
- No change order can be approved which is funded from funds other than those in the approved Capital Outlay Implementation Plan (COIP). If a change order is requested which requires the use of non-project funds, those funds must be added to the COIP and released prior to the execution of the change order. FSU Procedure OP-B-11-H Capital Outlay Implementation Plans, Encumbrance Authorizations and Budget Authority, addresses procedures for COIP revisions and contingency requirements.
- FACILITIES PROGRAM COMPLIANCE
- The work required by the change order or CCD must be within the scope of the approved facilities program. If not, the Facilities Design and Construction Office (FDC) must revise the program and submit the program amendment for approval as provided in FSU Policy OP-B-11-I, Development of Facilities Programs.
- CONSTRUCTION CHANGE DIRECTIVES
- Only changes for which the contractor is in absolute agreement with the terms on the face of the change order and for which the backup to the change order contains no qualifying language from the contractor, may be issued as change orders. Changes for which the terms are unresolved must be issued as construction change directives. Prior to execution of a construction change directive, the FDC must set aside adequate budget to cover the entire contractor's request. CCDs are numbered separately from change orders. When a CCD is agreed upon, a change order should be issued.
- CHANGE ORDER AND CONSTRUCTION CHANGE DIRECTIVE DISTRIBUTION
- All change orders and construction change directives shall be distributed immediately upon execution, as follows: contractor, FDC files, University Accounting Office (2) and project architect/engineer.